Black Olive Caesar Salad
|Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 15 min|
|Servings: 2||Skill Level: easy|
This vegetarian caesar salad uses briny olives in place of anchovies to make a creamy, garlic-laced dressing perfect for topping romaine hearts. Crunchy homemade croutons and shaved parm give the salad a classic finish.
- 8 ounces rustic bread, thick crusts removed, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Dressing (makes enough for several salads):
- 3 Tablespoons Pearls or Early California Black Ripe Olives, roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- A few turns black pepper
- 3 romaine hearts, rinsed and spun dry
- Dressing, from above
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- 1/2 cup Pearls or Early California Black Ripe Olives, quartered lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Toss the cubed bread with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on small baking sheet and bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Place all ingredients in a small blender or food processor.
- Puree smooth.
- If dressing is too thick, thin with a little water or lemon juice.
- Taste, adding more salt if you like.
- Toss the lettuce in a large bowl with enough of the dressing to coat lightly.
- Add the croutons, parmesan, and olives and toss again to coat, adding more dressing if the salad needs it.
- Serve right away.