Meatballs are always a crowd pleaser. The Kalamatas add a delicious twist to this traditional comfort food.
For the Meatballs:
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup chopped Pearls Specialties Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1/3 cup grated dry mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
For the Spaghetti Marinara:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for tossing spaghetti
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1½ pounds dry spaghetti
- Fresh parmesan, for serving
- Pearls Specialties Sliced Kalamata Olives, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix with your hands until just combined. Be careful not to over work or your meatballs will be tough. Roll the meatballs into 1″-1½” rounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring salted water to boil for the spaghetti.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until it just begins to brown, another minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, fresh oregano, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti, drain it well and toss with a bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Divide spaghetti between serving bowls.
- When the meatballs are done, toss them in the sauce and spoon sauce and meatballs over the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with fresh parmesan and sliced kalamata olives, and serve.