Antipasto White Pizza
|Prep Time: 10 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
|Servings: 4||Skill Level: easy|
Bechamel (A.K.A. white sauce) gives this pizza a creamy base for your favorite antipasto toppings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound pre-made pizza dough
- ½ cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 ounces salami
- 1½ cup shredded pizza cheese blend
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup Pearls Sliced California Black Ripe Olives
- Handful basil leaves
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a medium skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, whisking, for 1 minute until lightly golden. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Then slowly add the milk, whisking while pouring. Simmer, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened to a sauce, 5-10 minutes. Whisk in the oregano, salt, and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Scrape the sauce into a heatproof bowl to stop the cooking, cover with plastic wrap, pressing it onto the top to keep it from developing a skin, and let cool to warm.
- To make the pizza, position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 500°F. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven while it preheats. Otherwise, preheat a large baking sheet.
- Stretch or roll the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper into a 14-inch round. Spread the white sauce over the crust. Top with three-quarters of the cheese, then the salami, artichoke hearts, olives, and the rest of the cheese.
- Use a pizza peel or cookie sheet to slide the pizza, still on the parchment, onto the hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake the pizza until the crust is golden, 15-18 minutes, rotating the pizza a few times for even cooking. Remove the pizza from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Top with the basil leaves, cut into wedges, and serve.