Chicken Tortilla Soup
|Prep Time: 45 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: easy|
Sweet Potato Chicken Tortilla Soup
Brick-red broth, black beans, sweet potatoes, and chicken breast make a simple, nourishing tortilla soup topped with all the fixings. Use vegetable broth and leave off the chicken for a hearty vegetarian version.
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sunflower oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Mexican oregano
- 1 medium-sized jewel or garnet sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1-3 teaspoons chipotle puree (depending on spice preference; or
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo, seeded and chopped)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup Pearls or Early California Black Ripe Olives
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (such as from a rotisserie chicken)
- Salt (if needed, to taste, dependent on saltiness of stock)
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in thirds, then cut into strips
- 2-4 tablespoons sunflower oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, as needed
- Pearls California Ripe Sliced Black Olives
- Large handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2-4 ounces queso fresco, cotija, or feta cheese crumbled
- 2 medium avocados, firm-ripe, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- In a large, heavy soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes, stock, chipotle, tomatoes, and beans. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered, until the sweet potatoes are tender but still holding a shape, 20-30 minutes. Stir in the olives.
- Taste, adding more salt or chipotle if you like.
- While the soup simmers, make the tortilla strips: Heat a thin layer of oil in a wide, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add enough tortilla strips to fit in a single layer and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring and tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips and oil.
- In a small, non-reactive bowl, stir together the diced red onion, lime juice, and a big pinch of salt. Let sit until the soup is ready to serve, at least 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the chicken. Ladle the soup into bowls Garnish with a nest of tortilla strips, avocado slices, queso fresco, cilantro, and olives. Sprinkle with the pickled red onion and drizzle the lime juice over the top.
- Extra soup keeps well, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.