This protein-loaded flatbread hails from southern France and gets a pizza vibe from Mediterranean ingredients such as feta, bell peppers, and kalamata olives. Once you see how easy it is to make, you’ll be serving “socca” for an easy vegetarian weeknight meal on the regular.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup Pearls Specialties Sliced Kalamata Greek Olives
- 1 small (or 1/2 a large) bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into rounds (or the equivalent from multi-colored peppers)
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 ounces (1/3 cup) feta, in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons ghee, clarified butter, or high-heat cooking oil
- Fresh herbs, for sprinkling (parsley, oregano, basil, or a combination)
- Sift the chickpea flour, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl. Whisk in the water and olive oil until smooth and combined. Cover and let sit at room temperature 30-60 minutes to thicken slightly.
- When ready to bake, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 500°F. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes to preheat. Remove the pan from the oven and swirl in the ghee.
- Pour the batter into the pan and, working fairly quickly, carefully layer the toppings over the batter in the following order: red onion, bell pepper, feta, olives.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the edges are deep golden brown and the center is mostly set, 18-25 minutes. The flatbread will continue to cook from residual heat.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven. You can either carefully remove it from the pan to a cutting board, or cut it in the pan. Top the flatbread with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.