Arrabiata Pasta with Shrimp & Olives
|Prep Time: 5 min||Cook Time: 40 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: easy|
Recipe created in partnership with Feel Good Foodie/Yumna Jawad. Yumna writes:
“If you’ve never tried Arrabiata Pasta, your taste buds are in for a party! Arrabiata literally means ‘angry’ in Italian; and the sauce refers to the spiciness of the recipe. I pair it with shrimp and Pearls Specialties Kalamata Olives which are rich and decadent and the perfect complement to your spicy pasta! While it’s not traditional to include olives in Arrabiata Pasta, they really make a good thing even better!”
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped plus more for serving
- 3-4 tablespoons @Pearls_olives kalamata olives
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking pasta liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the pan, season with salt and black pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp is opaque, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and basil and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the cooked pasta on top of the sauce, and add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if desired.
- Fold in the cooked shrimp and kalamata olives, along with extra basil, if desired.