Traditionally spiced empanada filling made with ground turkey, potatoes, green olives, raisins and hard-boiled eggs served in lightened up lettuce-wraps. Great served warm or cold for dinner parties, appetizers, or a family night at home.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 small red potatoes, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup Pearls Specialties Garlic Stuffed Queen Olives, finely chopped, plus more slices for garnish
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 20 lettuce cups, from 2 heads of butter or romaine lettuce
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- Parsley leaves, for garnish
- Pour hot water over the raisins and let soak for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the filling. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add potato cubes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Boil until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 1 minute to soften. Add red bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until they
begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the ground turkey, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until the turkey is browned, 4-5 min.
- Add the raisins, olives, and chicken broth. Simmer until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, 8-10 min.
- Stir in the cooked potatoes. Serve filling warm or chill filling and serve cold.
To serve, place 2 tablespoons of filling on each lettuce cup. Top with a hard-boiled eggs, olive slices, and parsley.