Olive Lentil Salad
|Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 25 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: medium|
This flavorful but simple lentil salad is the perfect dish to bring to a summer potluck! Bright and minty with pops of crunchy cucumbers and briny green olives all topped with creamy feta.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ medium red onion (about 1/3 cup), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup French style green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water, plus more as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise then sliced ¼-inch thick
- ¾ cup Pearls Simply Green Olives, quartered
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons slivered fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ½-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2½ ounces feta, crumbled
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped red onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic slices and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, water, bay leaves, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to low and let gently simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are soft but not yet falling apart, adding more water as needed so the lentils are always covered in water.
- Drain the lentils and transfer to a medium bowl, removing the bay leaves. Chill until completely cool (about 2 hours. Tip: do this step the night before and chill overnight)
- When the lentils are cool, add the chopped cucumbers, olives, rec onion, and mint. Toss in the lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve with feta crumbled over the top or tossed into the salad. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.