Garlic Olive Patatas Bravas. A lighter take on the traditionally fried Spanish tapas dish, these potatoes are roasted with garlic-stuffed olives for a piquant twist. Serve these as an appetizer, or add a fried egg and side salad to turn them into a vegetarian meal.
For the Potatoes:
- 2 pounds small red or yellow new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons high-heat vegetable oil such as sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 jar Pearls Specialties Garlic Stuffed Queen Olives, drained well
For the Bravas Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion or shallot
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Handful parsley leaves, torn or chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and salt and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer, and bake until golden and tender, 30-40 minutes, tossing once or twice to brown them evenly. About 10 minutes before they’re done, add the olives and continue baking.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 1 minute, until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, smoked paprika, and pepper flakes. Cook at a low simmer until thick and reduced, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and lemon juice until combined. Refrigerate until needed.
To serve, arrange the olives and roasted potatoes on a platter, dollop the tomato sauce and mayonnaise over the top. Repeat with as many layers as you wish. Garnish with the parsley and pepper flakes and serve right away.