Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Olives & Capers
|Prep Time: 20 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: easy|
This twist on the traditional Neapolitan dish Insalata di Rinforzo combines tender roasted cauliflower with quick-pickled veggies and plenty of briny olives for an eye-opening side dish.
Quick Pickled Vegetables
- Brine from 1 jar Pearls Pimiento Stuffed Manzanilla Olives (about ½ cup)
- 2 ½ cups white wine vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 medium carrots, sliced ½-inch thick on the diagonal
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 celery stalks, sliced ½-inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced lengthwise ¼-inch thick
- Sea salt and olive oil, as needed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, separated into florets
- Pearls Pimiento Stuffed Manzanilla Olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the olive brine with the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat.
- Add the carrots and bell peppers to the brine. Return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add the celery and red onion, return to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes longer. Drain the vegetables in a colander, transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, roast the cauliflower. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower florets on the baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and a few turns of black pepper. Toss to combine. Roast the cauliflower until it’s tender and golden, turning the slices once or twice, 20-30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- When the cauliflower is cool, transfer it to the bowl of pickled vegetables. Add the olives, capers, and parsley.
- Pour the vinegar and olive oil over the vegetables and toss to coat. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Let sit for at least an hour at room temperature (or up to 2 days in the refrigerator) to allow the flavors to meld.