Shredded Chicken Tacos
|Prep Time: 90 min||Cook Time: 15 min|
|Servings: 12||Skill Level: easy|
Super easy chicken tacos will become a regular dish in your rotation. You’ll love all of the flavor and none of the stress.
For the Chicken:
- ¾ cup fresh tomato salsa
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts and thighs
- ½ cup water
For the Tacos:
- 1 small head purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- ¼ cup French feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Pearls or Early California Sliced Black Ripe Olives
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Add the salsa, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, salt, and pepper to a large heavy-bottomed pot, like a dutch oven. Nestle in the chicken and pour water over the top. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, covered for 1½-2 hours until the chicken falls apart when poked with a wooden spoon. Use a wooden spoon to shred the chicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the cabbage with rice vinegar, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt and pepper until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream with the lime juice and season with salt, to taste.
- Lightly char the tortillas directly over a medium-low flame, flipping once or warm each tortilla in a dry pan until just pliable, about one minute on each side.
- Build the tacos by layering each tortilla with chicken, pickled cabbage, avocado, feta, sour cream, olives, and cilantro.