Shrimp and Chorizo Paella
|Prep Time: 30 min||Cook Time: 20 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: medium|
This quick and easy paella recipe is simple to make on weeknights, yet fancy enough for dinner parties. It’s full of Spanish flair and amazingly tasty.
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red and 1 green, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cups dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 12 ounces peeled shrimp, tails on
- 6 ounces Spanish chorizo, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice or medium grain rice
- 1¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce can) diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 jar Pearls Specialties Garlic Stuffed olives
- Preheat the broiler. Place the chopped bell peppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet and broil on a top rack 5-7 minutes, until they begin to blacken, tossing occasionally.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the saffron threads with the white wine and set aside.
- Mix together the salt, smoked paprika, and pepper in small bowl. Toss half of this mixture with the shrimp, reserving the rest.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot such as a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chorizo until it begins to brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chorizo to a plate and cover.
- Add the shrimp and cook until nearly cooked through, stirring, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the chorizo and cover.
- Add the olive oil to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the wine and saffron mixture, and remaining spices and bring it to a boil, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken broth, canned diced tomatoes, and roasted red peppers and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, chorizo, frozen peas, and olives and stir. Cover and cook for 5-8 more minutes until liquid has been absorbed and rice is cooked through.