Vegan Roasted Garlic Pizza
|Prep Time: 20 min||Cook Time: 60 min|
|Servings: 3||Skill Level: medium|
You won’t miss the cheese in this flavorful vegan flatbread loaded with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, olives, herbs, and vegan “parm”!
- 1 (12 to 14-inch) parbaked pizza crust or 12 ounces premade pizza dough
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- 1 large or 2 medium heads garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Pearls Simply Olives Green Ripe Pitted Olives, drained and halved lengthwise
Vegan “Parm” (makes enough for several pizzas):
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon koshersalt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
Herby Olive Oil (makes enough for several pizzas):
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cut the head of garlic in half crosswise and place the halves on a small baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle each half with a pinch of salt. Roast until the garlic is golden and soft, 20-30 minutes, then let cool to warm. Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden and tender, 10-20 minutes, lowering the heat as needed. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar, plus a big pinch of salt.
- To make the vegan parm, combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, and olive oil in a small blender or food processer. Pulse to a fine, powdery consistency.
- To make the herb oil, stir together the minced parsley, basil, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl or jar.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450°F. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven while it preheats. Otherwise, preheat a large baking sheet.
- If using dough, stretch or roll the dough on a floured piece of parchment paper to a 12-inch round or oval. Slide the crust with the parchment onto the heated pizza stone or baking sheet and par-bake for 2-3 minutes, until just set, rotating the crust a few times, and pricking any large bubbles with a fork. If using a pre-made parbaked crust, no need to par-bake.
- Smash the roasted garlic cloves onto the crust with a fork. Add the caramelized onions and the olives. Return the crust to the oven and bake until the crust is golden, 5-8 minutes, rotating the pizza a few times for even cooking.
- Remove the pizza and drizzle all over with the herb oil, then sprinkle generously with the vegan parm. Cut into wedges and serve.