Bacon Brussels Sprouts
|Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
|Servings: 4||Skill Level: easy|
This quick and easy Brussels sprout side dish is packed with flavor from caramelized onions, crispy bacon, and cheesy olives.
- 4 strips (1/3 pound) thick-cut, smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 jar Pearls Specialties Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives, drained
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat a 10 or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden and crisp, stirring occasionally, 8-12 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and remove all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan, reserving the extra fat. Add the onion, a splash of water, and a big pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 – 15 minutes, adding another splash or two of water if the pan looks dry. Add the olives and cook until the olives are glazed and heated through, 5 minutes. Remove the onions and olives from the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of bacon fat back to the pan. Carefully place the Brussels sprouts in a single layer, cut-side down, and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the undersides are golden, 5 minutes, then remove the lid and gently stir in a splash of water to deglaze the pan. Continue cooking the Brussels sprouts until just tender, tossing occasionally, about 5 more minutes. Add the bacon, olive, and onion mixture to the Brussels sprouts, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and a generous grind of pepper, and remove from the heat.
- Taste, adding more salt or balsamic if you feel the dish needs it.