Don’t have time to slave over making dinner? This delicious and wholesome burrito bowl has the right amount of carbs, protein and veggies to satisfy fast-food cravings.
For the Rice and Vegetables:
- 1 cup medium or long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock (if unsalted, add ¼ teaspoon salt to rice)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled, quartered, and cut crosswise into ¼” thick strips
- 2 medium bell peppers (red, yellow, or a combination), cored, quartered, and cut crosswise into ¼-inch thick strips
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Beans:
- 1 can black beans, heated in their broth
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Splash water
For the Toppings:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Squeeze lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chile powder
- Pinch cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup Pearls or Early California Sliced Black Ripe Olives
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato salsa
- Handful cilantro leaves
- ½ cup crumbled cheese (such as feta, goat cheese, cotija, or queso fresco)
- Place the rice and vegetable stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to low, cover, and let steam until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes, checking the rice occasionally and adding more liquid if necessary. Taste, adding a sprinkle of salt if needed to taste.
- Let stand off heat 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and when it shimmers, add the onion, bell pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 10-15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the beans and their broth with the cumin, chili powder, salt, and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne, and season to taste with a pinch or two of salt.
- Divide the rice between 3-4 large bowls and top each with the vegetables, beans, olives, avocado, tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, cheese, and sour cream.