Flavorful stewed beef made with spices, tomatoes, and tossed with garlic stuffed olives. This dish serves a crowd and makes a great main course for a festive dinner party!
- 3 tablespoons high-heat vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil
- 2 pounds flank steak, cut into two pieces and sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry white white
- 14 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in their juices
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Pearls Specialties Garlic Stuffed Green Olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, for garnish
- Yellow rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large oven-safe dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak in two batches and brown for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pot, add the onion and peppers. Cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium and add tomato paste, paprika, oregano, cumin and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add white wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed, 3-5 minutes. Add whole tomatoes, mashing them up with a wooden spoon, and add the beef broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Nestle the browned steaks under the broth, adding more broth as needed just to cover the steaks. Add the bay leaves and cover.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven, covered, for 2½ – 3 hours, until the meat is tender enough to shred with a fork. Remove from oven and shred the meat.
- Return pot to the stove and cook over medium heat heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is saucy, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the olives.
- Top with cilantro and serve with rice. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.