Pearls Pepperoni Stuffed Olives
|Prep Time: 25 min||Cook Time: 5 min|
|Servings: 8||Skill Level: medium|
The perfect, crowd pleasing appetizer full of Italian goodness and California grown Pearls black ripe olives. You’re sure to make this pepperoni and cheese stuffed olive time and time again.
Recipe and image attributed by Chef Joe Sasto
- 2cans Pearls Ripe Black Pitted Olives (Extra Large)
- 1cup pepperoni, chopped
- 1cup provolone, chopped
- 1tb oregano, dried
- 1/4c parmesan cheese, grated
- 2tb mascarpone cheese
- 2tb ricotta cheese
- 2tb fresh parsley, chopped
- 1cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2ea eggs, beaten + 2Tb water
- 1cup AP flour
- Combine all of the stuffing ingredients in a food processor, except for the olives. Pulse until the mixture is homogenous and pipable.
- Meanwhile, drain the olives from their brine, but do not dry them. The wetness from the brine will help the flour and coating stick to the olives.
- Using the small tip of a zip-top bag, pipe the filling into each olive.
- Prepare your 3-stage breading station, by placing the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate trays or bowls. Season each with a small amount of salt to taste.
- Begin breading the olive, by rolling the flour, then transferring to the egg, and finally transferring to the breadcrumbs. Move the olives back to the egg, and then back into the breadcrumbs for a crunchier and thicker coating.
- Carefully place the olives into a large wide pot of neutral cooking oil heated to 350F.
- Fry the olives for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack and while still warm lightly season with salt.
- Serve the fried olives warm, topped with the chopped parsley and with spicy marinara or saffron garlic aioli.