Inspired by the classic Greek dish Spanakopita – Chef Joe made these flakey, crispy, crunchy, and creamy filled party cups. If you’re intimidated by cooking with olives or using phyllo dough – this is the recipe for you.
- 1 package of phyllo dough sheets, thawed
- 1 lbs frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 jar Pearls Specialities Kalamata Olives
- 1 bunch chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice + zest
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a muffin tin with olive oil or melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped spinach, feta cheese, ricotta cheese, Pearls Specialities Kalamata Olives, parsley, scallion, lemon juice, dried dill, dried thyme, dried oregano, and beaten eggs. Mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface and lightly brush it with olive oil or butter. Place another sheet of phyllo dough on top and repeat the process.
- Cut the stacked phyllo dough into squares that are roughly 4×4 inches in size. Gently press each square into the greased muffin tin, allowing the edges to extend beyond the rim.
- Spoon approximately 1-2 tablespoons of the spinach and cheese filling into each phyllo cup.
- Bake the spanakopita cups in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the phyllo dough turns golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the spanakopita cups from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.