Penne with Sundried Tomatoes, Olives, Spinach and Crispy Capers
|Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 20 min|
|Servings: 4||Skill Level: medium|
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
- One 6-ounce can Pearls Ripe Black Olives, drained
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella pearls
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Crispy Capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the pasta and reserve the pasta water.
- In your food processor combine the sun-dried tomatoes, half of the Pearls Ripe Black Olives, basil, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pulse until chunky; do not over mix!
- To make the Crispy Capers, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the capers and cook for 2 minutes or until the capers are puffed and starting to brown. Transfer the capers to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Heat a large high-sided sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sundried tomato mixture to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the pasta and 1/2 cup of the pasta water and stir to combine. Add the baby spinach leaves and stir them into the pasta, allowing them to wilt.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Cut the remaining olives in half and add them to the pasta. Season the pasta with freshly ground pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mozzarella pearls. Finish with the Romano cheese and garnish with the crispy capers.