Spicy Buffalo Olives
|Prep Time: 30 min||Cook Time: 30 min|
|Servings: 72||Skill Level: medium|
If you love Buffalo Wings and are hankering for that spicy flavor without all the fuss, here’s a simple recipe that really delivers. Spicy Buffalo Olives are made with Pearls or Early California Brand Pitted, California Ripe Olives.
Buffalo Hot Sauce:
- 1 cup margarine (2 sticks)–margarine works better than butter
- 1 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 3 tbsp Tabasco Sauce
- 1/4 tsp finely ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 6-oz cans Pearls or Early California Large Pitted California Ripe Olives
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- Canola oil
- To make the Buffalo Sauce, melt margarine in a sauce pan, then add hot sauce, Tabasco, white and black pepper, and sugar. Stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Drain the olives and set them aside.
- Beat together egg and water.
- Place the flour, egg mixture and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls.
- Roll 8-10 olives at a time into the flour. Shake off any excess flour. Next, roll the olives in the egg wash, stirring gently to coat them. Remove the olives, letting excess egg wash drain off. Next, roll the olives in the bread crumbs and coat them completely. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat until all of the olives are coated.
- Preheat a skillet with a quarter inch of canola oil over medium heat. Gently place 10-12 breaded olives in the hot skillet at a time. When the bottoms of the olives are golden brown, gently roll them over to cook on the other side until just crisp and golden brown on both sides. Move to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat for the remaining olives, replenishing oil as needed.