|Prep Time: 45 min||Cook Time: 20 min|
|Servings: 6||Skill Level: medium|
A rich and comforting lentil, mushroom, and olive vegetarian bolognese sauce served over sweet potato noodles for a hearty vegetarian dinner packed with vegetables.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Pearls Specialties Martini with Vermouth olives, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper, plus more to taste.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Sweet Potato Noodles:
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and spiralized
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Water, as needed.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring, until they begin to sweat, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for another 3-5 minutes, until mushrooms begin to sweat. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, olives, wine, and spices and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Add lentils and simmer, stirring occasionally, for another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover while you prepare the sweet potato noodles.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Working in three batches, add the sweet potato noodles plus a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until noodles sweat and are softened to your liking, adding a tablespoon of water at a time, as needed, if the noodles begin to stick, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat until all noodles are cooked.
- Serve noodles in bowls topped with a spoonful of bolognese and a sprinkle of fresh parmesan, adding more olives for garnish, if desired.